Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

>> GOOD AFTERNOON AND WELCOME TO THE CALLED BOARD MEETING OF

[1. Notice and Return]

[00:00:03]

THE DALLAS INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF TRUSTEES.

WE'LL DISPENSE WITH THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE AND A SALUTE TO THE TEXAS FLAG AS WE COMPLETED THOSE IN OUR PREVIOUS SESSION.

THE FOLLOWING TRUSTEES ARE EITHER PHYSICALLY PRESENT OR PARTICIPATING SIMULTANEOUSLY BY VIDEO CONFERENCE.

A QUORUM OF THE BOARD IS PHYSICALLY PRESENT AT THIS LOCATION, DISTRICT 1 [INAUDIBLE] FLORENCE, DISTRICT 2 DOZEN MARSHALL DISTRICT 3 DAN MITCH K WILL BE JOINING US VIRTUALLY, DISTRICT 4 CAROL GARCIA, DISTRICT 5 MAXI JOHNSON, DISTRICT 6 JOYCE FORM IS NOT ABLE TO ATTEND TODAY.

DISTRICT 7 BEN MACKEY, DISTRICT 8 JOE CALLEJON, DISTRICT 9, JUSTIN HENRY WILL BE JOINING US VIRTUALLY.

OUR CHIEF OF STAFF AND RACIAL EQUITY PAM LEAR JOINS US AND I AM BEN MACKEY BOARD PRESIDENT.

THIS MEETING WILL BE AVAILABLE SIMULTANEOUSLY IN SPANISH ON SOCIAL MEDIA THROUGH DALLAS ISD EN ESPANOL ON FACEBOOK AND THROUGH THE DISTRICT'S WEBSITE.

>> [SPANISH]

>> WE'LL NOW MOVE ON TO ITEM 3, PUBLIC COMMENT.

OUR AGENDA NOW CALLS TO THE PUBLIC COMMENT OF OUR MEETING.

HOWEVER, I WAS INFORMED THAT NO ONE SIGNED UP TO SPEAK, SO WE'LL MOVE ON TO ITEM FOUR.

[A. Discussion to Consider Planning for the Superintendent Search, Timeline, Community Engagement Process, Superintendent Job Posting, and Board Non-Disclosure Agreement related to Search]

TRUSTEES, THIS MEETING HAS BEEN CALLED TO DISCUSS AND CONSIDER PLANNING FOR THE SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH TIMELINE, COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PROCESS, SUPERINTENDENT JOB POSTING, AND BOARD NON-DISCLOSURE RELATED TO THE SEARCH.

I'M GOING TO TURN IT OVER TO OUR TEAM TO BE ABLE TO WALK US THROUGH THE PRESENTATION.

>> THANK YOU, PRESIDENT MACKEY, BOARD MEMBERS, DR. LEAR, I THANK YOU FOR GIVING US OPPORTUNITY TODAY TO COME BACK TO YOU.

WE HAVE PRESENTED TO YOU ALL AN UPDATED POWERPOINT THAT INCLUDES AN UPDATED AND REVISED SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH PLAN FOR THE BOARD'S CONSIDERATION.

WE APPRECIATED THE COMMENTS AND THE INPUT THAT THE BOARD HAD AT THE LAST MEETING ON MARCH 3RD, AND WHAT WE'VE TRIED TO DO IS TAKE ALL OF THOSE COMMENTS, SOME OF WHICH AS MANY OF THE BOARD MEMBERS KNOW ON THE DIFFERENT SIDES OF THE ISSUES, AND INCORPORATE THOSE AND COME BACK TO A MUCH MORE EFFICIENT AND REVISED PLAN OF ACTION FOR YOUR SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH TODAY.

I'M GOING TO GO AHEAD AND START US OUT ON A FEW OF THESE TWO COMPONENTS TODAY.

ONE IS THE TIMELINE ITSELF AS WELL AS THE COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PROCESS.

WESLEY NEWT, MY COLLEAGUE, WILL BE SPEAKING A LITTLE BIT MORE IN-DEPTH AND DETAILED ON THE ONLINE SURVEY.

ANOTHER THING THAT WE DID BETWEEN THE LAST MEETING AND TODAY IS THAT WE WERE ABLE THROUGH BOARD SERVICES TO GET INPUT FROM CERTAIN SECTORS OF ADMINISTRATION WHEN IT COMES TO EXECUTION OF THE PLAN TO INCLUDE THE COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PROCESS.

BECAUSE WE WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT THE CAPABILITIES THAT THE BOARD MIGHT BE THINKING OF AND THAT WE ARE THINKING OF ARE THERE TO BE EXECUTED UPON AND I CAN SAY THAT THEY'VE BEEN GREAT IN TERMS OF THEIR INPUT, ESPECIALLY WITH RESPECT TO COMMUNICATIONS.

LET ME GET STARTED NOW.

I ALSO WANT TO MAKE CERTAIN THAT I DO HAVE ONLINE DR. ANNE DICKSON, THE EDUCATIONAL CONSULTANT.

SHE IS HERE BY ZOOM, AS WELL AS MY COLLEAGUE PAGE KYLE, WHO IS HERE BY ZOOM AS WELL.

THE TIMELINE ITSELF REALLY DOES NOT DIFFER MUCH FROM THE TIMELINE THAT WAS PRESENTED LAST WEEK TO THE BOARD.

WE HAVE ALLOTTED FOR ADJUSTMENT OF WHEN THAT TIMELINE OFFICIALLY STARTS SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT WE WEREN'T STARTING AS OF THIS WEEK AND SO WE'VE PUSHED IT BACK BY ABOUT ONE WEEK.

I KNOW, AND THE TEAM IS RECOGNIZING THAT THERE WERE SOME CONCERNS ABOUT NOT RUSHING THE PROCESS, MAKING SURE THAT WE TAKE THE NECESSARY TIME THAT WE NEED TO FULLY OR THAT THE BOARD NEEDS TO FULLY VET THOSE APPLICANTS AND CANDIDATES THAT ARE GOING TO BE APPLYING FOR THE POSITION.

TO THAT END, WHAT WE'VE BUILT INTO THIS TIMELINE IS THE CAVEAT THAT YOU SEE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SLIDE THERE, WHICH IS TO INDICATE AND TO MAKE THE PUBLIC AWARE OF THE FACT AND CANDIDATES THAT THESE DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND MAY BE EXTENDED FOR ADDITIONAL INTERVIEWS BY THE DALLAS ISD BOARD OF TRUSTEES.

ULTIMATELY, AS WE HAVE SAID THROUGHOUT THIS PROCESS, THIS IS YOUR PROCESS.

YOU GET TO DEFINE IT AND SO, WE WANTED TO MAKE SURE TO INCORPORATE THAT POSSIBILITY.

ONE BIG COMPONENT OF THE TIMELINE ITSELF IS THE COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PROCESS.

THIS PROCESS HAS BEEN REVAMPED SINCE IT WAS BROUGHT TO YOU AT THE LAST BOARD MEETING.

WHAT WE'VE TRIED TO DO HERE IS TO TAKE ALL THE INPUT THAT WE RECEIVED FROM THE BOARD AND TO CREATE SOMETHING THAT IS MORE EFFICIENT AND TARGETED IN TERMS OF GETTING INPUT FROM OUR COMMUNITY AS WELL AS FROM OUR DISTRICT EMPLOYEES, PARENTS, AND STUDENTS.

AGAIN, WE START OUT WITH THE IDEA THAT THE FOCUS OR THE WORK THAT'S BEING DONE IN THIS ENGAGEMENT PROCESS IS BOARD MEMBER, DISTRICT, AND THE EDUCATIONAL CONSULTANT.

WE DO NOT START WITH THE ASSUMPTION THAT ATTORNEYS ARE GOING TO BE NEEDED IN THIS COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PROCESS.

UNLIKE REDISTRICTING, THIS IS NOT SO MUCH A PROCESS OF EXPLAINING

[00:05:02]

THE LAW OR BEING ABLE TO ARTICULATE ANSWERS TO RESPONSES THAT REQUIRE LEGAL ANALYSIS.

THIS IS TRULY ABOUT GETTING INPUT FROM THE VARIOUS SECTORS OF THE DALLAS ISD COMMUNITY TO INCLUDE ITS CAMPUSES AND DEPARTMENTS AND GET THAT TO THE BOARD FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION, BECAUSE ULTIMATELY YOU'RE THE ONES THAT ARE GOING TO BE MAKING THE DECISION OF WHO WILL BE THE DISTRICT'S NEXT SUPERINTENDED.

WITH THAT BEING SAID, THIS SCHEDULE IS REALLY ALIGNED TO DR. DIXON'S AVAILABILITY IN TERMS OF BEING ABLE TO BE AT DISTRICT DURING THE DAY, FILLING THOSE DAYS WITH MEETINGS OF THE VARIOUS TYPES YOU SEE HERE, AND THEN RESERVING THE EVENING HOURS IN ORDER TO ADDRESS EVENING EVENTS SUCH AS BOARD MEMBER TOWN HALLS AND OTHER VIRTUAL OPPORTUNITIES THAT WE HAVE BUILT INTO THE SCHEDULE.

WE START OUT WITH INDIVIDUAL MEETINGS, WITH THE BOARD MEMBERS, OF COURSE, WE'VE ALSO BUILT-IN COMMUNITY TOWN HALLS THAT ARE LED BY THE BOARD MEMBERS.

I WANT TO STRESS THAT DOESN'T MEAN AS A FEW OF YOU ALL NOTED AND AS I THINK SOME OF YOU DID DURING REDISTRICTING, DON'T STOP INDIVIDUAL BOARD MEMBER FROM HAVING THEIR OWN MEETINGS IN THEIR OWN DISTRICTS ARE WITH THEIR OWN CONSTITUENTS OR THEIR OWN ORGANIZATIONS THAT THEY HAVE WORKED WITH THEIR TIME ON THE BOARD AND SO THOSE WE KNOW AND SHOULD CONTINUE.

WE WOULD JUST ASK THEM WHATEVER INPUT YOU GET IN THOSE MEETINGS TO BE ABLE TO FACILITATE THAT BACK TO DR.

DIXON IN TERMS OF HER REVIEWING AND VETTING THE CANDIDATES TO FIND THE MOST HIGHLY QUALIFIED.

ANOTHER THING THAT WE HEARD WAS TEEN SCHOOL BOARD, SO WE HAVE BUILT-IN A SESSION THERE FOR TEENS SCHOOL BOARD.

THE NEXT SESSION THAT MADE SENSE WITHIN THE TIMELINE WAS THE MARCH 22ND SESSION.

WE WILL BE LOOKING TO DO THAT SUBJECT TO THE BOARD'S APPROVAL OF THIS ENGAGEMENT PROCESS.

WE ALSO HAD DISCUSSIONS AND HEARD FROM THE BOARD ON EMPLOYEE ORGANIZATIONS.

SINCE THE LAST BOARD MEETING, I BECAME AWARE OF THE UNDER HUMAN CAPITAL MANAGEMENT.

WE DO HAVE AN EMPLOYEE ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE.

THAT COMMITTEE MEETS ON A MONTHLY BASIS.

WE ARE STILL GOING TO BE VISITING WITH HCM AND GETTING A LITTLE BIT MORE INFORMATION ABOUT WHO SITS ON THIS COMMITTEE.

MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT WE DO HAVE VARIOUS MEMBERS OR REPRESENTATIVES OF VARIOUS TYPES OF EMPLOYEE ORGANIZATIONS THAT SIT ON THIS COMMITTEE.

I RAISE IT ONLY BECAUSE AS OPPOSED TO GOING OUT AND HAVING SEPARATE MEETINGS WITH THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF OUR STAFF ORGANIZATIONS, THIS ONE COMMITTEE MAY BE THE BEST AND MOST EFFICIENT RESOURCE.

AGAIN, WANTING TO HEAR FROM THE BOARD ON THAT PARTICULAR ISSUE, WE WENT AHEAD AND INCLUDED STILL OTHER SESSIONS WITH PARTICULAR EMPLOYEE ORGANIZATIONS.

AS THE TEAM, WE THROW IT TO THE BOARD TO SAY, IS IT ALL OF IT? OR MAYBE IT WOULD BE MORE EFFICIENT WITH THE EOC.

ADDITIONAL CHANGES TO THE ENGAGEMENT PROCESS.

WE DID HEAR ABOUT THE INPUT FROM THE CAMPUS LEVEL, PARTICULARLY FROM PRINCIPALS.

WE'RE LOOKING AT APPROXIMATELY 230 CAMPUSES.

FOR THOSE INPUT SESSIONS RATHER TO BE PRODUCTIVE, WE ARE SUGGESTING THAT WE HOLD VIRTUAL SESSIONS WITH OUR PRINCIPLES, AND TO THE EXTENT THAT WE CAN HOLD THOSE AT TIMES THAT ARE CONVENIENT FOR CAMPUS PRINCIPALS.

I DON'T NEED TO TELL THIS BOARD THE SPRING SESSION IS THE IMPORTANT SESSION AS CAMPUS PRINCIPALS.

WE'VE GOT ASSESSMENTS, WE GOT END-OF-YEAR COURSE.

IT'S IMPORTANT THAT A LOT OF THEM STAY AT THEIR CAMPUSES AS WE GO THROUGH THE ASSESSMENT SEASON.

THAT'S ANOTHER REASON WHY WE SELECTED THE VIRTUAL OPTION SO THAT THOSE CAMPUS PRINCIPALS WOULD NOT NEED TO LEAVE THEIR CAMPUSES IN ORDER TO HAVE A SESSION.

OTHER CHANGES THAT WE'VE MADE OR THAT WE WANTED TO ADDRESS WAS A COMMENT THAT WAS MADE BY SOME BOARD MEMBERS RECOGNIZING THAT NOT ALL EMPLOYEES ARE MEMBERS OF AN ORGANIZATION.

WE HAVE EMPLOYEES OUT THERE THAT AREN'T.

HOW DO WE REACH THOSE INDIVIDUALS? WE'VE DECIDED TO GO AHEAD AND ALLOW FOR SESSIONS FOR TEACHERS AND SUPPORT STAFF.

BUT AGAIN, WE WOULD WANT TO HEAR FROM THE BOARD MEMBERS ON THIS PIECE, BECAUSE IT DOES ADD SESSIONS.

I ALSO WOULD POINT OUT THAT WHAT WE HAVE ON THE NEXT SLIDE AS PART OF THE COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PROCESS IS THE ONLINE SURVEY.

WE HAVE BEEN VERY FORTUNATE TO BE ABLE TO WORK WITH AND GET THE INPUT FROM THOSE INDIVIDUALS WITHIN THE ADMINISTRATION WHO ASSISTED ON THE REDISTRICTING SURVEYS.

I THINK WHAT WE HAVE BROUGHT TO YOU TODAY, WHICH WESLEY WE'LL COVER,

[00:10:01]

IS A PRETTY COMPREHENSIVE SURVEY.

THOSE SECTORS ARE THOSE GROUPS OF TEACHERS AND SUPPORT STAFF COULD VERY WELL BE REACHED THROUGH THAT SURVEY PROCESS.

BUT AGAIN, WE WANT TO HEAR FROM THE BOARD ON WHETHER IT'S IMPORTANT TO HAVE A MORE FORMAL SETTING WITH THESE PARTICULAR GROUPS.

THE NUMBER OF SESSIONS ITSELF INVOLVING THE EDUCATIONAL CONSULTANT WOULD BE 39 UNDER THIS PROPOSED PLAN.

AGAIN, WE ARE DRAFTING IT FOR EFFICIENCY, BUT ALSO TO CONSIDER THE COSTS THAT ARE ASSOCIATED WITH HAVING THE EDUCATIONAL CONSULTANT PRESENT IN DISTRICT.

I BELIEVE THE TOTAL NUMBER OF DAYS FOR DR.

DIXON TO BE IN DISTRICT UNDER THIS PLAN TOTALS TO 12.

ON THE LAST PROCESS HERE OF COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT, BEFORE I TURN IT OVER TO DR. DIXON FOR A BIT, WITH RESPECT TO ANOTHER WAY OF GETTING INPUT, WE HEARD FROM BOARD MEMBERS ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING A PUBLIC FORUM, PARTICULARLY IN SPANISH.

WE HAVE BUILT THAT INTO THE ENGAGEMENT PROCESS ITSELF.

IMPORTANTLY ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM THE BOARD IS MORE INFORMATION ON THIS PARTICULAR AVENUE OR INPUT PROCESS.

WE ALSO ARE UNDERSTANDING THE SIZE OF THE DISTRICT, THE SIZE OF OUR PARENTS AND COMMUNITY AND STUDENT BODY AND HOW CAN THIS BE FACILITATED IN THE MOST EFFICIENT BUT PRODUCTIVE WAY POSSIBLE? WHAT WE CONSIDERED WERE THE VIRTUAL OPTIONS AS WELL AS OPTIONS THROUGH A TELE TOWN HALL.

THE TELE TOWN HALLS WERE FAIRLY SUCCESSFUL IN THE REDISTRICTING PROCESS.

WE USE THEM THERE.

WE DO THINK THAT THIS COULD BE A VIABLE WAY TO GET INPUT FROM OUR HOUSEHOLDS, OUR PARENTS AND OUR RESIDENTS WHO ARE PREDOMINANTLY SPANISH-SPEAKING.

BUT WE WOULD WANT THE BOARD'S INPUT WHEN IT COMES TO THIS PARTICULAR TYPE OF FORUM.

DR. DIXON, DIDN'T KNOW IF YOU'D LIKE TO ADD ANYTHING TO THIS ENGAGEMENT PROCESS IN TERMS OF YOUR ROLE.

I THINK THAT WE'VE VETTED THROUGH THIS [NOISE] [INAUDIBLE].

THE ONLY COMMENTS IS THAT IF WE'RE GOING TO GET GOING, WE NEED TO ADOPT SOMETHING SO THAT WE CAN GET OUR INVITES OUT AND GET ON PEOPLE'S CALENDARS.

THAT'LL BE IMPORTANT.

THE THREE DAYS THAT I HAVE SET ASIDE FOR THE BOARD MEMBERS TO COMMUNICATE WITH ME.

WE'LL JUST DO THAT ON A ONE-ON-ONE.

I WILL SEND YOU AN E-MAIL, SEE WHEN YOU'RE FREE IF YOU WANT TO DO IT WHILE I'M IN THE DISTRICT WE CAN SET THAT TIME.

THE OTHER ONE THAT'S GOING TO BE IMPORTANT IS THAT I'M GOING TO BE IN THE DISTRICT FOR THE NINE DAYS IN APRIL, FIVE,SIX,SEVEN,12,13,14,19,20 AND 21.

THAT'LL BE THE NINE TOWN HALL.

FIRST-COME-FIRST-SERVED.

WHOEVER WANTS TO SIGN UP FOR THOSE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, BOARD MEMBERS ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND.

I WILL HOST THEM.

BUT AGAIN, YOU'RE WELCOME TO BE THERE.

I WILL HOPEFULLY HAVE ASCRIBE AT ALL OF MY MEETINGS.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO PLAN TO DO IS AFTER EVERY SESSION, SUMMARIZE IN BULLET FORM THE INPUT AND GET THOSE OUT TO THE BOARD MEMBERS EVERY NIGHT.

OTHERWISE, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE 39 THINGS TO READ.

WHEREAS IF YOU CAN READ LITTLE CLIPS EVERY NIGHT I THINK THAT WILL HELP YOU.

THAT'S THE ONLY TWO THINGS THAT I HAVE, IS DATES AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE THE TALK TO YOU ALL.

THEN THE DATES THAT YOU'RE GOING TO SELECT THE NINE CHOICES FOR YOUR TOWN HALL.

BECAUSE I CAN ONLY BE IN ONE AT ONE TIME.

THOSE DATES WILL BE UP FOR GRABS.

THANK YOU, DR. DIXON.

AGAIN, THE COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PROCESS ITSELF IS SOMEWHAT DETAILED THAN WHAT WE HAD LAST TIME.

WE REALLY URGE THE BOARD TO GET INPUT ON THOSE ELEMENTS THAT YOU ALL FEEL THAT YOU'RE PASSIONATE ABOUT IN TERMS OF GETTING INPUT FROM OUR COMMUNITY.

AT THIS POINT I'M GOING TO TURN IT OVER TO WESLEY WITH REGARD TO THE ONLINE SURVEY.

THANK YOU, LAURA. THANK YOU TO THE BOARD FOR HAVING US TODAY.

I'M GOING TO GO OVER TO SOME OF THE QUESTIONS THAT WE'VE PUT IN THIS ONLINE SURVEY.

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WE'RE CERTAINLY GOING TO NEED TO FEED BACK ON BECAUSE THE SURVEY IS AN IMPORTANT MECHANISM FOR COST CONTAINMENT.

IT'S ALSO SOMETHING THAT IS GOING TO BROADEN THE REACH FOR GATHERING INPUT FROM THE COMMUNITY AND FOR ALLOWING THE BOARD TO GATHER THAT INPUT AND GIVE EFFECT TO IT AND IT'S SELECTION OF A SUPERINTENDENT.

WE THINK THAT THE ONLINE SURVEY CAN BE A VERY IMPORTANT PIECE OF THIS PUZZLE.

WE LOOK FORWARD TO FEEDBACK. THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEGINNING OF IT.

[00:15:05]

OBVIOUSLY, WE'VE GOT IT GOING UNTIL APRIL 22ND TOGETHER THAT FEEDBACK USING THE ONLINE SURVEY.

IF YOU RECALL DURING REDISTRICTING, WE DID GET A MINIMAL NUMBER OF RESPONSES.

I DO THINK IT'S IMPORTANT TO CONSIDER WAYS TO DRIVE ENGAGEMENT TO THIS SURVEY.

THAT CAN CERTAINLY BE UP FOR DISCUSSION WITH THE BOARD.

THIS FIRST QUESTION FROM THE LIST BELOW, PLEASE LIKE A TOP THREE QUALITIES OR QUALIFICATIONS.

THIS IS AN AREA WHERE WE CERTAINLY WOULD LIKE FEEDBACK BECAUSE IN OUR LAST MEETING, WHAT WE DISCUSSED WAS INCORPORATING AE LOCAL AND WHAT THE BOARD IS REALLY INTERESTED IN INPUTTING FOR PUTTING FORWARD IN A SUPERINTENDENT.

SOME OF THAT LANGUAGE COMES DIRECTLY FROM AE LOCAL TRUSTWORTHY, RESPONSIBLE, RESPECTFUL, CARING, FAIR, GOOD CITIZENSHIP THAT WAS CHANGED A LITTLE BIT.

BUT THEN THE OTHER ANSWERS HERE ARE, WE'RE GATHERED FROM THE INPUT FROM THE BOARD.

WILL BE ACTIVE IN THE COMMUNITY BILINGUAL OR MULTILINGUAL EXPERIENCE WORKING IN LARGE DIVERSE IN URBAN ENVIRONMENTS.

THESE THINGS WERE GATHERED FROM THE FEEDBACK FROM THE BOARD.

FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF POTENTIALLY COOLING DOWN THESE RESPONSES, PAIRING THEM DOWN TO MAKE IT MORE DIGESTIBLE FOR FOLKS I THINK THE BOARD WOULD MAYBE OFFER SOME FEEDBACK AND WE CAN TAKE THAT DOWN TO A COUPLE OF THESE RESPONSES.

IF YOU FEEL LIKE AE LOCAL IS PROPERLY REPRESENTED IN THE PROBABLY BOTTOM HALF PORTION.

BUT THIS IS A STARTING POINT.

WE CAN CERTAINLY LEAVE IT ALL IN THERE.

BUT THIS IS CERTAINLY AN AREA WHERE WE WOULD BE LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK FROM BOARD.

ON THE NEXT QUESTION, PLEASE SELECT THE TOP THREE ISSUES AND/OR CONCERNS YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ADDRESSED IN OUR DISTRICT IN ORDER OF PRIORITY.

THIS IS A PRETTY LONG LIST, BUT IT DOES INCORPORATE A LOT OF THE FEEDBACK THAT CAME FROM THE BOARD DURING THE LAST MEETING.

THIS WOULD BE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR THE BOARD TO CONSIDER WHICH ONE OF THESE MATTERS, EITHER THE MOST OR WHAT GROUPING SHOULD PROBABLY BE IN THIS QUESTION.

BUT TO THIS POINT, ALL OF THESE ARE COMING FROM AT LOCAL.

THEY'RE COMING FROM BOARD FEEDBACK AND HONING IN ON SOME ADDITIONAL RESPONSES OR MAYBE PAIRING THESE DOWN AS WELL IS GOING TO BE UP FOR DISCUSSION.

THEN THIS OTHER QUESTION, PLEASE SELECT THE TOP THREE AREAS OF THE GREATEST STRENGTHS OF THE DISTRICT.

THESE ARE COMING FROM AE LOCAL AND THEY'RE ALSO COMING FROM BOARD FEEDBACK TO THIS POINT.

THEN OF COURSE TOWARD THE END, BECAUSE THE BOARD HAS EXPRESSED AN INTEREST IN KNOWING WHO IS RESPONDING TO THESE [INAUDIBLE] HAVE PUT TOGETHER A LIST HERE.

INSTEAD OF SAYING DALLAS ISD EMPLOYEE, WE HAD BROKEN THAT UP INTO ADMINISTRATOR, TEACHER, AND SUPPORT STAFF SEPARATELY SO THAT YOU CAN GET DOWN IN A MORE GRANULAR LEVEL TO SEE WHO IS RESPONDING FROM THE DISTRICT.

BUT THIS IS ALSO UP FOR DISCUSSION.

>> I BELIEVE AT THIS POINT PAIGE KYLE WILL BE ADDRESSING THE INFORMATION GIVEN TO THE CANDIDATES AS WELL AS THE JOB POSTING.

>> ABSOLUTELY. BEFORE WE LEAVE SLIDE 11, LAURA, I'D LIKE TO TAG ONTO WHAT WESLEY SAID.

DR. OAKLEY IN THE DISTRICT WAS VERY HELPFUL IN PROVIDING FEEDBACK ABOUT THIS SURVEY.

QUESTION WE ASKED HER IS ARE THESE THE RIGHT CATEGORIES? ARE THERE ADDITIONAL CATEGORIES THE BOARD MAY WANT TO CONSIDER? SHE SAID THAT IF YOU WANT TO, WE COULD SEPARATE OUT ADMINISTRATOR CATEGORY TO CENTRAL OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR AND CAMPUS ADMINISTRATOR IF YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW THAT FEEDBACK SEPARATELY FROM ONE ANOTHER, WE COULD EVEN EXPAND IT FURTHER AND MAKE IT CENTRAL OFFICE SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR, THEN CENTRAL OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR THAN CAMPUS.

THAT'S SOME FEEDBACK WE'D LOVE TO LOOK TO THE BOARD FOR TODAY.

THEN ONTO SLIDE 12, LAURA, WE WANTED TO SHOW YOU A LIST THAT WE HAVE PUT TOGETHER OF THE TYPES OF DOCUMENTS THAT WE INTEND TO REQUEST FROM YOUR CANDIDATES AS THEY APPLY AND WE BUILT IN ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE HEARD AT THE LAST MEETING WAS.

YOU'D REALLY LIKE AN AFFIRMATIVE REVIEW BY THE CANDIDATES OF YOUR BOARD POLICY THAT YOU ALL PUT TOGETHER AND WORKED ON AND AN AFFIRMATION THAT IT'S SOMETHING THEY COULD SUPPORT.

WE PUT THAT IN THE LIST OF THINGS THAT YOU'D LIKE TO SEE INITIALLY FROM THE CANDIDATES.

[00:20:04]

THIS LIST PROVIDES A PRETTY GOOD CROSS-SECTION AS YOU LOOK AT THEIR APPLICATIONS, AND WE WANTED TO RUN THAT BY YOU IN CASE THERE WERE ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS THAT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO ADD TO THAT LIST.

THEN SLIDE 13, THIS IS ONE THAT YOU HAVE SEEN BEFORE.

WE HAVE HAD INPUT ON IT, BOTH FROM YOUR DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT THEY HELPED US WITH SOME OF THE LANGUAGE.

TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT CAME UP LAST WEEK ABOUT WHETHER THOSE LAST THREE CATEGORIES SHOULD, WE HAD LISTED THEM AS PREFERRED BEFORE AND THERE WAS SOME DISCUSSION ABOUT THAT.

WE THOUGHT AND I THINK WE HAVE THE INPUT OF ADMINISTRATION THAT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO SAY, THOSE THREE THINGS ARE CONSIDERED BUT NOT REQUIRED INSTEAD OF SAYING PREFERRED.

WE PUT THAT THERE FOR YOU TO TAKE A LOOK AT IN CASE THAT'S SOMETHING THAT LOOKS GOOD.

I WOULD SAY BEFORE WE GO ON TO THE CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT, IN ORDER TO GET THE JOB POSTED MONDAY AS THE TIMELINE IS CURRENTLY PROPOSING THIS SLIDE 13, THE MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS IS ONE OF THE THINGS WE WOULD DEFINITELY NEED TO HAVE APPROVED BY THE BOARD TODAY.

THEN GOING ON TO THE LAST TWO SLIDES, THIS IS THE CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT.

SLIDE 14, WE GOT INPUT FROM THE BOARD AT THE LAST MEETING, MADE SOME REVISIONS TO THAT LANGUAGE.

THIS IS JUST BY WAY OF INTRODUCTION OR REMINDER, AN AGREEMENT THAT OUR SEARCH FIRM DOES NOT REQUIRE OF SCHOOL BOARDS, BUT SCHOOL BOARDS MAY DECIDE THEY WANT TO ENTER INTO A CONFIDENTIALITY AND NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENT THAT IS SPECIFIC TO THE SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH.

THE REASON FOR CONFIDENTIALITY BEING SO IMPORTANT IS TO PROTECT THE CURRENT JOBS AT THE PEOPLE WHO WILL BE APPLYING FOR YOUR POSITION.

AS YOU KNOW, TOWARDS THE END OF THIS SEARCH, THIS BOARD WILL ANNOUNCE PUBLICLY YOUR FINALIST FOR THE POSITION, AND THERE WILL BE 21 DAYS FOR YOUR PUBLIC AND ANYONE THAT WOULD LIKE TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK ABOUT THAT FINALIST BEFORE THEY ARE HIRED.

BUT UP UNTIL THE DATE THAT YOU ALL NAME A FINALIST, WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND AND UNDERSTAND FROM YOU ALL THAT YOU WANT TO TREAT THEIR IDENTITY AS EXTREMELY CONFIDENTIAL, JUST IN RECOGNITION OF THEIR CURRENT POSITIONS.

IF THE BOARD WOULD LIKE TO ENTER INTO A CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT, THIS IS WHAT WE HAD DRAFTED AND THEN REVISED WITH YOUR INPUT.

THAT'S ALL I HAVE, LAURA.

>> THANK YOU, PAIGE. IN TERMS OF QUESTIONS, DISCUSSION, PRESIDENT MCKEY, I THINK AT THIS POINT OUR PRESENTATION IS DONE AND WE'RE EAGER TO HERE THE INPUT.

>> THANK YOU ALL. WE APPRECIATE THE PRESENTATION.

TRUSTEES WILL BEGIN ON HER FIRST ROUND.

WE'LL START WITH TRUSTEE JOHNSON.

>> YES. IN OUR LAST MEETING, MY COLLEAGUES EXPRESS THE FACT THAT WE DID NOT WANT BILINGUAL OR MULTILINGUAL SKILLS CONSIDERED ON THIS AS FAR AS THE JOB REQUIREMENTS.

WHY THAT ON HERE?

>> TRUSTEE JOHNSON, WE HEARD DIFFERING ASPECTS OF THAT PARTICULAR ISSUE.

I DO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THERE WERE SOME BOARD MEMBERS THAT PREFER THAT IT NOT BE ON THERE, BUT WE ALSO HEARD FROM BOARD MEMBERS THAT WANTED THE FACT THAT A CANDIDATE HAVING THOSE SKILLS THAT THAT BE SPOKEN TO IN THE JOB POSTING.

THAT'S ONE OF THOSE ISSUES WHERE WE WERE RECEIVING INPUT THAT WAS DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER.

SO IN ORDER TO BRING CONSENSUS TO THAT ISSUE, WHAT WE'VE BROUGHT AN OFFER TO THE BOARD AND THIS JOB POSTING IS LANGUAGE THAT DIFFERS FROM THE LANGUAGE THAT WAS IN THE ORIGINAL VERSION.

THE ORIGINAL VERSION I THINK HAD PREFERRED.

THIS IS DRAWING BACK FROM THAT LANGUAGE OF PREFERRED, AND IT IS SIMPLY SAYING THAT THAT INFORMATION WILL BE CONSIDERED, BUT THAT IT IS NOT REQUIRED.

>> UNDERSTAND, BUT I KNOW IN THAT MEETING, I DON'T KNOW WHICH TRUSTEES YOU GUYS LISTENED TO OR WHICH ONES YOU DIDN'T LISTEN TO.

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE SAYING.

THE TRUSTEES THAT I HEARD, WE DID NOT WANT THAT LANGUAGE ON THE AGENDA AT ALL, ON THIS PARTICULAR PIECE AT ALL.

WHICH ONES DID YOU LISTEN TO? WHICH ONES DID YOU NOT LISTEN TO?

>> I BELIEVE WE LISTENED TO ALL OF IT.

WE DID. TRY TO BUILD CONSENSUS WITH THAT [OVERLAPPING].

[00:25:03]

>> THIS IS SOME SAID THAT.

WHICH ARE THE SOME DID YOU LISTEN TO OR WHICH ARE THE SOME DID YOU NOT LISTEN TO?

>> WE LISTENED TO ALL OF IT TRUSTEE JOHNSON.

>> I'M JUST GOING OFF WHAT YOU JUST SAID.

THE SOME THAT I'VE HEARD, WE DIDN'T WANT THIS LANGUAGE HERE BECAUSE WE DIDN'T WANT ANY RESTRICTIONS FOR CANDIDATES LIKE WE SAID ABOUT THE CERTIFICATIONS.

WITH SOME BECAUSE I'M JUST TRYING TO UNDERSTAND BECAUSE I WAS PART OF THE SOME THAT DIDN'T WANT THIS.

WHICH SOME DID YOU LISTEN TO BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU JUST SAID OUT OF YOUR WORDS.

THIS YOUR WORDS COMING OUT OF YOUR MOUTH.

>> WE LISTENED TO ALL OF THE INPUT FROM THE BOARD OF WHICH THERE WAS VARIED INPUT.

TO BUILD CONSENSUS ON THAT VARIED INPUT, WE HAVE COME BACK WITH THIS LANGUAGE.

>> I CAN'T SUPPORT THIS LANGUAGE BECAUSE MY COLLEAGUES ASKED, ESPECIALLY BLACK COLLEAGUES ASKED FOR THIS NOT TO BE ON THERE.

BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT ANY RESTRICTIONS ON CANDIDATES AS WE SAID WITH THE SUPERINTENDENT CERTIFICATIONS.

>> I BELIEVE THAT THE LANGUAGE ITSELF IS NOT MAKING IT A RESTRICTION MUCH LIKE IT WOULDN'T BE A RESTRICTION ON THE DOCTORATE OR HAVING A DOCTORATE.

THAT IS WHERE ALL THE LANGUAGE FOR THOSE LAST THREE MIRROR ONE ANOTHER.

>> I CAN'T SUPPORT THIS LANGUAGE.

I'M MOVING ON, BUT I CANNOT SUPPORT THIS LINK.

I THINK IF IT IS NOT REQUIRED THEN IT SHOULDN'T BE LISTED.

IF IT'S NOT BILINGUAL OR MULTILINGUAL SKILLS, CONSIDERABLE NOT REQUIRE IF IT'S NOT REQUIRED IT SHOULD NOT BE LISTED.. THAT'S WHAT MEMBERS OF THIS BOARD ASKED FOR.

BASED OFF WHAT YOU JUST SAID TO ME, YOU SAID SOME SAID THEY WANTED IT SOME SAID THEY DIDN'T.

THAT'S WHAT YOU SAID TO ME, CORRECT?

>> I THINK THERE WAS A LOT OF DISCUSSION ON THE IMPORTANCE OF BALANCE [OVERLAPPING]

>> NOT DISCUSSION. I'M SAYING WHAT YOU JUST SAID.

WHAT YOU JUST SAID TO ME WAS SOME SAID THEY WANTED AND SOME SAY THEY DIDN'T.

IS THAT WHAT YOU JUST SAID? DID I HEARD YOU CORRECTLY.

>> YOU PARDON ME CORRECTLY TRUSTEE JOHNSON,.

>> AGAIN, WHICH SOME DID YOU LISTEN TO AND WHICH SOME DID YOU NOT LISTEN TO? YOU DON'T HAVE TRUSTEE [INAUDIBLE], YOU'LL HAVE THE ANSWER BECAUSE I DON'T INTERRUPT YOU WHEN YOU SPEAK, PLEASE RESPECT ME.

THAT'S ALL I ASKED. THANK YOU. THAT'S MY ISSUE.

>> I UNDERSTAND.

>> WHEN WE'RE LOOKING AT YOU SAID THE ATTORNEYS, I ASKED FOR A MEETING WITH THE COMMUNITY AND I KNOW THAT I THINK THE TURNING THIS ONLINE AND ARE ABLE TO BE HERE BECAUSE OF THE COST EFFECTIVE MISUNDERSTANDING.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ATTORNEYS THERE ARE HERE IN TOWN WHEN WE HAVE OUR COMMUNITY MEETINGS LIKE WE DID WITH ADDITIONALLY, IF THEY HAVE QUESTIONS, CAN YOU GUYS BE ABLE TO ATTEND?

>> TRUSTEE JOHNSON? YES. WE ARE STARTING WITH THE ASSUMPTION THAT ATTORNEYS ARE NOT NEEDED, BUT AS WE DID WITH REDISTRICTING, IF THE TRUSTEE IS PREFERRING TO HAVE COUNSEL THERE, WE WILL MAKE OURSELVES AVAILABLE.

>> I WILL STOP RIGHT NOW. I JUST NEED THE [INAUDIBLE] RIGHT NOW EVERY GROUP.

>> THANK YOU, TRUSTEE JOHNSON.

OTHER TRUSTEES FOR FIRST ROUND HERE? IF ANY OF OUR TRUSTEES ARE ONLINE HAVE ANYTHING YOU CAN FEEL FREE JUST TO COME OFF OF MUTE.

WE'LL START WITH TRUSTEE GARCIA.

>> JUST AN IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION.

THANK YOU FOR THIS PRESENTATION.

JUST SOMETHING THAT I'M PARTICULARLY PASSIONATE ABOUT IN THIS SUBJECT HERE, THE SPANISH PUBLIC FORUM.

I'D ENCOURAGE FOR US TO CONSIDER SOME OF THE I THINK SUCCESSES THAT WE HAD DURING THE INITIAL COVID PROTOCOLS.

I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO BROADCAST THAT SESSION IN CONJUNCTION WITH [INAUDIBLE].

I THINK AT ONE POINT WE HAD OVER 350 PARENTS THAT JOINED THAT ZOOM CALL.

WE OF COURSE HAVE OUR OWN SPANISH COMMUNICATIONS TEAM, OR AT LEAST TEAM THAT DOES TRANSLATIONS AND THINGS OF THE SORT THAT ONLINE.

I THINK THAT'S A VERY HELPFUL RESOURCE THAT VIRTUAL, I THINK THE ZOOM WORKS VERY WELL.

I'M HAPPY TO DIVE IN INTO HOW THOSE WHO WANTED TO JOIN OR LEAVE THAT CONVERSATION COULD BE AN ATTENDANCE SOME THOUGHTS THERE.

I THINK ALONG WITH THE CONVERSATION OF MY COLLEAGUE, MATHEW JOHNSON HAS JOINED.

SPEAKING ON THE LENS OF THE PERCEPTION THAT DISD COULD POTENTIALLY BE PUTTING FORTH.

I HAVE NO OPPOSITION TO REMOVING THAT PARTICULAR BULLET POINT, BUT I DO WANT TO GET TO THE QUESTION ON THE TIMELINE.

IS MY LAPTOP'S WORKING WITH ME? ESSENTIALLY WHAT HAS HAPPENED IS THE TIMELINE FOR APPLICATIONS TO BE RECEIVED HAS BEEN CONDENSED ONE WEEK NOW AND THE ORIGINAL TIMELINE FOR THE INTERVIEWS HAS REMAINED THE SAME.

[BACKGROUND]

[00:30:06]

>> YEAH. WE'VE LOST A WEEK FROM MARCH 7TH TO MARCH 14TH.

>> TO MARCH 14TH, AND THAT'S THE ONLY IMPACT EVERYTHING ELSE HAS REMAINED THE SAME FROM THE LAST PRESENTATION.

>> BASICALLY ACTUALLY THE TIMELINE WAS SHIFTED DOWN BY A WEEK.

>> SHIFTED THEM.

>> YEAH

>> THAT'S IT FOR SURE. THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU. TRUSTEE KARION FOLLOWED BY TRUSTEE, MARSHAL.

>> SINCE IT WAS A THING. WE WILL FIRST THANK YOU FOR WORKING ON THIS.

I SEE A A LOT OF THE EDITS THAT WE SUGGESTED IN THIS AND I APPRECIATE THAT.

I JUST BROUGHT UP.

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT I THANK YOU GUYS.

CAME TO A PRETTY GOOD COMPROMISE WITH THE MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS.

I AGREE AND I HEAR THE CONCERNS AS TO WHETHER REQUIRING CERTAIN THINGS, BUT CERTAINLY THESE THINGS, SPECIFICALLY BILINGUAL MULTILINGUAL SKILLS.

I KNOW FOR ONE THAT'S SOMETHING THAT I WOULD DEFINITELY CONSIDER NOT BUT NOT REQUIRED, SO I THINK THAT'S THE RIGHT WAY TO PHRASE IT, SO I APPRECIATE YOU ALL FINDING THAT SOME TYPE MIDDLE GROUND. THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU. TRUSTEE KARION.

TRUSTEE MARSHALL, FOLLOWED BY TRUSTEE FLORES.

>> I APOLOGIZE. I WAS OUT OF THE COUNTRY LAST WEEK WHEN THE MEETING WAS CALLED AND WAS UNABLE TO ATTEND.

I DID NOT BENEFIT FROM PARTICIPATING IN THAT CONVERSATION.

I DON'T HAVE THE HISTORICAL CONTEXT OF WHAT WAS SAID OR DISCUSSED IN THAT MEETING, BUT I WANT TO ECHO WHAT TRUSTEE KARION JUST SAID, MY PERCEPTION OF THE ISSUE AT HAND REGARDING WHETHER OR NOT THE CANDIDATES SHOULD BE BILINGUAL IS THAT YOU'VE CAPTURED WELL, MY SENTIMENTS ON THE ISSUE WHICH ARE THAT A CANDIDATE THAT COULD SPEAK SPANISH WOULD BE HIGHLY CONSIDERED AND THAT IS NOT A REQUIREMENT.

BUT IN A DISTRICT WHERE OVER 70 PERCENT OF OUR FAMILIES ARE HISPANIC AND ROUGHLY 50 PERCENT OF THEM ARE ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS.

I THINK THAT IS A VERY RELEVANT THING TO CONSIDER.

I APPRECIATE THE WAY THAT YOU'VE WORDED IT AND WITH ALL DUE RESPECT TO ALL OF MY COLLEAGUES, I WOULD LIKE IT TO STAY THE WAY THAT YOU WORDED IT.

MY ONLY QUESTION IS RELATED TO THE TIMING AND THE SCHEDULE.

OBVIOUSLY, WE'VE HAD SOME HICCUPS AND FALSE STARTS AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS PROCESS.

MY CHIEF CONCERN IS THAT WE HAVE CONCLUDED THIS PROCESS WELL BEFORE THE BEGINNING OF THE COMING SCHOOL YEAR.

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE US TAKING A VOTE AND EARLY JUNE AND WE ALREADY HAVE A MEETING CALENDAR FOR I BELIEVE JUNE 9TH.

IS IT YOUR EXPECTATION THAT ON JUNE 9TH, WE WILL HAVE SELECTED A SUPERINTENDENT?

>> ON THE TIMELINE. YES. I MEAN, IT IS TO ESSENTIALLY COME TO THAT TIMEFRAME, ONE OF OUR THOUGHT PROCESSES AND GOING THROUGH THIS TRUSTEE MARSHALL, WAS THAT TYPICALLY WHEN WE DEAL WITH EDUCATOR CONTRACTS AT THE ADMINISTRATIVE LEVEL, YOU'RE LOOKING AT JULY 1ST START DATE.

THAT'S WHAT WE WERE AIMING FOR.

AGAIN, IT IS UP TO THE BOARD THOUGH, IF WE WANT TO TAKE IT BEYOND THAT.

>> WHAT ARE THE HIGHEST RISK FACTORS IN YOUR MIND THAT COULD PREVENT US FROM MEETING THAT DEADLINE?

>> THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION. I THINK IT WOULD BE ASSESSMENT AND EXTENDING OF THE TIMEFRAME TO BUILD IN MORE THAN TWO ROUNDS OF INTERVIEWS.

IT MAY BE THAT WE WANT AN AMAZING APPLICANT POOL.

AS A RESULT, THE IDEA OF CALLING DOWN TO JUST 20 APPLICANTS MAY NOT BE FEASIBLE.

THERE MAY BE MORE THAN THAT SUCH THAT IT WOULD REQUIRE THE BOARD TO DO MORE THAN ONE ROUND OF INTERVIEWS, THEREBY EXTENDING THAT TIMEFRAME.

>> THAT WOULD BE A GOOD PROBLEM TO HAVE, BUT GIVEN THE NUMBER OF VACANCIES THAT WE HAVE IN THE MARKET, I'D BE SHOCKED IF WE HAVE SO MANY CANDIDATES THAT WE HAVE AN EMBARRASSMENT OF RICHES.

ARE THERE ANY OTHER MAJOR RISK FACTORS THAT YOU WOULD FORESEE?

>> THIS JUNCTURE. I DON'T.

MY COLLEAGUES MAY HAVE OTHER THOUGHTS.

>> I THINK ONE OF THE THINGS THAT IS SOMETHING TOTALLY OUT OF OUR CONTROL IS THEIR RELEASE.

THE SELECTED SUPERINTENDENT DOESN'T ALWAYS JUST GET TO COME WHEN THEY WANT TO COME, THEY HAVE TO COORDINATE THAT THEIR EMPLOYER.

BUT WE WILL KNOW THAT INFORMATION.

WHEN I CALL THESE APPLICANTS, I TALKED ABOUT THAT FACTOR RIGHT THERE,

[00:35:01]

THE START DATE IN THEIR EARLIEST AVAILABILITY.

WHEN YOU REVIEW THE APPLICATIONS, YOU WILL HAVE THAT INFORMATION.

>> THAT'S A VERY INTERESTING COMMENT.

I'M JUST SPEAKING AS ONE TRUSTEE, BUT THAT WOULD PRECLUDE MY INTEREST AND A CANDIDATE UNLESS THE CANDIDATE WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD.

I DON'T KNOW WHETHER THAT SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AS A TENANT OF THE JOB REQUIREMENTS THAT THEY HAVE TO ACTUALLY BE AVAILABLE TO START PRIOR TO THE SCHOOL YEAR.

BUT FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, THAT IS PRETTY CLOSE TO A DEAL-BREAKER IF THEY CAN'T.

ANY OTHER RISK FACTORS YOU WOULD CONSIDER?

>> THOSE ARE PROBABLY THE TWO MOST THAT COME TO MIND.

>> OKAY.

>> TRUSTEE MARSHALL.

>> I WILL JUST UNDERSCORE THE IMPORTANCE OF FROM MY PERSPECTIVE OF ADHERENCE TO THE TIMELINE.

I HOPE THAT WE CAN STICK TO THIS.

I HOPE THAT IF THERE ARE ANY FORESEEABLE CHANGES THAT YOU BECOME AWARE OF AT ANY POINT IN THE PROCESS THAT YOU'RE WORKING THROUGH THE BOARD PRESIDENT TO MAKE THE FULL BOARD AWARE OF THOSE CHALLENGES SO THAT WE CAN REMOVE ANY OBSTACLES THAT EXIST TO ENSURE ADHERENCE TO THIS TIMELINE BECAUSE FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, WE NEED TO TEE UP THE NEXT SUPERINTENDENT FOR SUCCESS.

DOING SO IS BASED ON LETTING THEM BE HERE FOR THE BEGINNING OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. THANKS.

>> THANK YOU. TRUSTEE MARSHALL, TRUSTEE FLORES, FOLLOWED BY TRUSTEE MITCH GAY.

>> ON THE MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS.

I DON'T KNOW, I GUESS I WAS FOCUSED MORE ON THE BILINGUAL MULTILINGUAL SKILLS, BUT HERE RIGHT NOW WE HAVE CAMPUS PRINCIPAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.

OUR CURRENT SUPERINTENDENT WAS NEVER A CAMPUS PRINCIPAL.

I RECALL CORRECTLY.

I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THAT SWITCH TO CONSIDERED BUT NOT REQUIRED.

I'M CONSIDERED BUT NOT REQUIRED IT'S NOT AS STRONGEST PREFERRED, WHICH IS WHAT I WOULD'VE GONE WITH, BUT I'M OKAY WITH THE CONSIDERED BUT NOT REQUIRED LANGUAGE FOR THE OTHER ONES AS WELL.

AGAIN, I WAS ONE OF THE TRUSTEES THAT WAS SAID THAT IT WAS IMPORTANT THAT OUR SUPERINTENDENT BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH A THIRD OF OUR STUDENTS, AND THEIR FAMILIES, WHO DON'T COMMUNICATE IN ENGLISH.

BUT I'M OKAY UNLESS MY FELLOW TRUSTEES HAVE ANY OPPOSITION TO SWITCHING THE PRINCIPAL TO CONSIDERED BUT NOT REQUIRED.

I WOULD REQUEST THAT WE MAKE THAT CHANGE IS BECAUSE I THINK THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF YOU MENTIONED ARNIE DUNCAN OR SO BIG SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENTS THAT WERE NEVER PRINCIPLES AND YET WE'RE VERY SUCCESSFUL STYLE.

I'M NOT SURE THAT THAT'S A REQUIREMENT FOR AND THEN FOR THE CENTRAL OFFICE SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR OR EQUIVALENT.

BECAUSE IN SOME CASES THEY COULD'VE BEEN RUNNING COMPANIES.

THEY COULD'VE BEEN RUNNING LARGE ORGANIZATIONS, LARGE NON-PROFITS, LARGE OTHER ORGANIZATIONS.

IT SEEMS THAT WE LIMIT THE POOL TOO MUCH BY HAVING THOSE REQUIREMENTS ON THOSE TWO OR AT LEAST EQUIVALENCE.

>> THANK YOU, TRUSTEE FLORES. TRUSTEE MITCHKE.

>> THANK YOU. I WANT TO THANK THE STAFF FOR TRYING TO PUT TOGETHER THE REQUIREMENTS IN A WAY THAT IS GENERALLY ACCEPTABLE TO THE BOARD.

I'M OKAY WITH THE CONSIDERED LANGUAGE.

IT IS CERTAINLY A CHANGE FROM THE REQUIRED STATEMENT AND AS WELL AS THE PREFERRED STATEMENT.

OBVIOUSLY, WITH A DISTRICT WITH OUR DEMOGRAPHICS, IT'S GOING TO BE SOMETHING THAT WE WILL ALL OBVIOUSLY CONSIDER.

BUT THE THING THAT I WILL CONSIDER MORE IS WHETHER THE CANDIDATE IN HIS OR HER EXPERIENCE HAS ACTUALLY MOVED THE NEEDLE FOR KIDS THAT ARE SIMILAR TO THE DEMOGRAPHICS IN OUR DISTRICT.

IT'S NOT GOING TO BE DISPOSITIVE TO ME, BUT BEING CONSIDERED AS SOMETHING DIFFERENT FROM SAYING, THAT IT'S PREFERRED.

WHAT I PREFER IS SOMEONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY MOVED THE NEEDLE REGARDLESS OF THEIR LANGUAGE SKILLS.

BUT THEIR LANGUAGE SKILLS, IN MY VIEW, IS CERTAINLY SOMETHING WORTH LOOKING AT.

I'M OKAY WITH THE TIMELINE.

I THINK TRUSTEE FLORES HAD MENTIONED ONLY DUNCAN.

I THINK THAT CONVERSATION ACTUALLY REFERRED TO THE DOCTORATE DEGREE AS OPPOSED TO PRIOR EXPERIENCES AS A PRINCIPAL, I COULD BE WRONG ABOUT THAT.

[00:40:02]

BUT I'M OKAY WITH THAT CHANGE.

IT CHANGES WHERE I AM.

I DO THINK PARDON UPON ALL THINGS CONSIDERED THAT HAVING BEEN A PRINCIPAL IS PRETTY IMPORTANT PART OF, IN TERMS OF JUST FIGURING OUT THE ODDS OF SUCCESS.

WE MAY HAVE BETTER, SUCCESSFUL SUPERINTENDENT WHO BEAT THE ODDS.

BUT I THINK, GENERALLY SPEAKING, THE ODDS ARE BETTER THAT SOMEONE'S GOING TO BE SUCCESSFUL IF THEY'VE BEEN A PRINCIPAL.

IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE, AS WE'VE SEEN, TO SUCCEED WITHOUT THAT EXPERIENCE.

BUT I THINK THAT EXPERIENCE IS HELPFUL, BUT I'M OKAY WITH MOST OF THESE CHANGES.

I JUST WANT TO GET THE POSTING OUT THERE AND GET THE TIMETABLE DONE.

I THINK WE'RE IN GOOD SHAPE.

SOME OF THESE THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN SUGGESTED FOR ME ARE ACTUALLY JUST MINOR TWEAKS.

I'M IN FAVOR OF MOVING HELP FORWARD AND VERY APPRECIATIVE OF THE TEAM FOR ITS WORK. THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU, TRUSTEE MITCHKE. TRUSTEES, WE'LL BEGIN SECOND ROUND.

TRUSTEES, ANYTHING FOR SECOND ROUND? TRUSTEE JOHNSON.

>> THANK YOU. I'M CONCERNED AGAIN ABOUT AND I HEARD MY COLLEAGUES CONCERNING THE LANGUAGE, BUT TEXAS SUPERINTENDENTS CERTIFICATE WILL BE REQUIRED.

I THINK WE NEED TO REMOVE THAT BECAUSE, WHAT ABOUT WE HAVE CANDIDATES THAT DOES ARE NOT IN TEXAS, THAT HAS BEEN A SUPERINTENDENT, BUT THEY DON'T HAVE A TEXAS SUPERINTENDENT CERTIFICATE.

>> TRUSTEE JOHNSON, I BELIEVE THERE WERE SOME DISCUSSION ABOUT THAT THE LAST MEETING.

THAT EXACT COMMENT WAS MADE.

BY SAYING THAT TEXAS CERTIFICATE WILL BE REQUIRED MEANS THAT WHEN THEY ARE READY TO BEGIN THE POSITION THAT THEY WILL HAVE THAT CERTIFICATE IN PLACE.

OTHERWISE, WE ARE LOOKING AT OTHER OPTIONS, ALTHOUGH I KNOW DR. DICKSON HAS FOLLOWED UP WITH WITH TEA ON THIS, IS THAT EITHER PURSUING THE AVENUE OF A WAIVER OR FINDING SOME OTHER ALTERNATIVE IN ORDER TO GET THAT SUPERINTENDENT TO HAVE THE NECESSARY CERTIFICATION.

>> DOES TEA REQUIRE SUPERINTENDENT TO HAVE A TEXAS CERTIFICATION?

>> THEY DO REQUIRE THAT CERTIFICATION, MUCH LIKE WITH OUR TEACHERS.

>> NOTHING IS MORE OFFENSIVE TO ME.

WHEN YOU USE THE WORDS THAT YOU JUST USED TO ME.

I WANT YOU TO KNOW WHAT RAN ME HOT.

I RESPECT MY COLLEAGUES ON HIS BOARD, WE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS.

BUT WHEN YOU SAY, I LISTEN TO SOME AND SOME SAY THIS, SOME SAY THEN WE LISTEN TO THIS LEFT OUT SOME.

THAT'S A PROBLEM FOR ME.

I'M JUST LETTING YOU KNOW OPENLY.

I'M VERY OFFENDED BY THAT.

BECAUSE WHEN I'M LOOKING AT HERE, PEOPLE DON'T LIKE WHEN I CALL HERE, BUT I'M GETTING EMAILS AND TICKS.

WE NEED A SUPERINTENDENT THAT CAN MOVE THE NEEDLE FOR AFRICAN AMERICAN BOYS IN THE ISD.

THEY'RE LISTENING. WHEN YOU'RE SAYING LISTEN TO SOME, DON'T LISTEN TO SOME OR WE HEAR SOME, THAT WAS OFFENSIVE TO ME.

IT IS OFFENSE TO MY COMMUNITY.

I HAVE A PROBLEM [NOISE] BECAUSE I'VE BEEN FIGHTING FOR EQUITY IN THIS COMMUNITY BEFORE I BECAME A TRUSTEE.

I'VE BEEN SAYING IT FROM DAY ONE, WE NEED A SUPERINTENDENT TO CARE ABOUT OUR KIDS.

WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE DATA IN DALLAS ISD, AFRICAN AMERICAN BOYS ARE AT THE BOTTOM.

POLICIES OF HOW I FEEL RIGHT NOW, BECAUSE I'M VERY LIVID.

THAT STATEMENT WAS VERY OFFENSIVE.

I CAN UNDERSTAND EVERY TRUSTEE, WE DO NOT AGREE ON EVERYTHING, BUT I RESPECT EVERY ONE OF MY COLLEAGUES.

BUT THIS STATEMENT, I CAN FEEL IT.

I'M REALLY CLOCKED OUT RIGHT NOW.

>> MAY I RESPOND TRUSTEE JOHNSON?

>> YOU CAN BUT I'M JUST SAYING, WE NEED TO LISTEN TO EVERY TRUSTEE.

EVERY TRUSTEE VOICEOVER MATTERS.

WHETHER WE AGREE OR DISAGREE.

THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT DECISION.

OUR KIDS, OUR STUDENTS, OUR PARENTS ARE DEPENDING ON THIS BOARD AND FOR US TO GET IT RIGHT.

I WILL HOPE YOU LISTEN TO EVERY TRUSTEE, NOT SOME.

THAT'S OFFENSIVE, AND I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO SAY.

>> TRUSTEE JOHNSON, MY COMMENT WAS NOT TO IMPART THE WEIGHT THAT WAS GIVEN TO WHAT CERTAIN MEMBERS SAID OVER OTHERS.

I WAS TRYING TO CONVEY THAT WE HEARD DIFFERING ASPECTS OF THAT PARTICULAR ISSUE OF THE IMPORTANCE OF MULTILINGUAL OR BILINGUAL IN A CANDIDATE.

WE HAD TO TAKE COMMENTS THAT WERE ON THE OPPOSITE SIDES OF THE SPECTRUM FROM EACH OTHER AND SOMEHOW COME TO CONSENSUS WITH THAT LANGUAGE.

[00:45:01]

THERE IS ALWAYS THE OPTION, AND SOMETHING THAT THE BOARD CAN CONSIDER TODAY, IS THAT YOU ALL STICK WITH JUST THE FIRST TWO CRITERIA THAT ARE LISTED ON THIS JOB POSTING AND LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE BEHIND.

THERE'S ALWAYS THAT OPTION.

BUT MY COMMENTS WERE NOT MADE TO SAY THAT ONE BOARD MEMBER'S COMMENTS WERE FAVORED OVER ANOTHER, OR GIVEN MORE WEIGHT.

IT WAS TO EMPHASIZE THAT WE WERE LISTENING TO DIFFERENT COMMENTS ON THE SAME ISSUE.

>> THANK YOU TRUSTEE JOHNSON.

TRUSTEES, ANYTHING ELSE FOR A SECOND ROUND HERE? I JUST HAVE A COUPLE QUICK QUESTIONS FOR A SECOND ROUND THAT, SORRY.

TRUSTEE [INAUDIBLE] DID YOU HAVE A ANYTHING ELSE FOR SECOND ROUND. I DIDN'T CHECK ONLINE.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH. I DIDN'T WANT TO SAVE IT.

I'VE USED THAT LANGUAGE AS A COMPROMISE BECAUSE I THINK WE HAD SOME TRUSTEES WHO WANTED TO HAVE THE LANGUAGE QUALIFICATION AS PREFERRED.

OTHERS DIDN'T WANT IT AT ALL.

THE MIDDLE GROUND WAS CONSIDERED.

THAT'S WHY I'M OKAY WITH IT BECAUSE IT DID REPRESENT AN UNDERSTANDING THAT USING THE WORD PREFERRED WAS SOMETHING THAT WAS TROUBLESOME TO SOME OF OUR BOARD MEMBERS.

NOW THAT IT IS JUST CONSIDERED VERSUS PREFERRED IN THE POSTING, I THINK IT IS A COMPROMISE AND IT DOESN'T GIVE PREFERENCE TO SOMEONE WHO HAS THAT LANGUAGE SKILLS.

I'M OKAY WITH THE DOCUMENT THE WAY IT IS, BUT I DO WANT TO NOTE THAT FROM MY STANDPOINT, I DO RECOGNIZE THAT BY CHANGING IT FROM PREFERRED TO CONSIDER IS A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE FROM THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE.

THOSE REPRESENT AN ATTEMPT TO RESPOND TO THE CONCERN ABOUT THE ORIGINAL USE OF A PREFERRED. THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU TRUSTEE MICHIGAN. TRUSTEE GARCIA.

>> I HAVE JUST ANOTHER THING TOO.

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE REVIEW THE SIGN INFORMATION ESSENTIALLY OF OUR DISTRICTS AND LOCAL POLICIES SURROUNDING OR THEORY OF ACTION, STRATEGIC COVENANTS IN EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY.

I THINK THAT'S ABSOLUTELY OF THE STARTING POINT WE SHOULD BE HAVING WITH ANY CANDIDATE.

LET ME MOVE FORWARD TO THEN THE STUDENT INPUT.

JUST A CONSIDERATION TO BE MADE HERE THAT WE DO HAVE A VERY ACTIVE CIVIC ENGAGEMENT STUDENT BODY THAT INCORPORATES MORE THAN JUST THE TEEN BOARD.

I CAN THINK OF A FEW OTHER ORGANIZATIONS THAT STUDENTS ARE VERY ACTIVE WITH.

I'M FAMILIAR WITH STUDENT VOTER EMPOWERMENT COALITION AND IGNITE AND A FEW OTHERS THAT ARE PART OF DIST.

I'D LOVE TO SEE A SESSION THAT'S FOCUSED ON STUDENTS BEYOND THE TEAM BOARD AND CONSIDERING INVITING THOSE GROUPS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE SAME SESSION.

THEN OF COURSE, AGAIN, OFFERING MY SUPPORT ARE CONSIDERED STRATEGICALLY HOW WE CAN REACH OUT TO SPANISH SPEAKING ONLY AUDIENCES. THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU TRUSTEE GARCIA.

TRUSTEES, ANYTHING ELSE FOR SECOND ROUND HERE? JUST A COUPLE QUICK COMMENTS THAN THAT OF SURFACE ON THE SURVEY.

I THINK THE SURVEY IS FINE.

MY ONE NOTE IS ON THE SECOND QUESTION THERE ABOUT WHAT'S MOST IMPORTANT.

MY CONCERN IS THAT NOWHERE ON THIS, WHAT'S THE I THINK IT'S YOU PHRASE IT AS THE MOST IMPORTANT CONCERN OR ISSUE.

NOWHERE ON THERE IS IMPROVING STUDENT OUTCOMES, WHICH I BELIEVE IS THE FUNDAMENTAL MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR A SCHOOL DISTRICT ON THERE.

MAYBE THIS IS BETTER PHRASED.

ASIDE FROM IMPROVING STUDENT OUTCOMES POLICES THE OTHER TOP THREE ISSUES OR MAKING SURE THAT'S ON THERE BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY, THAT'S WHAT SCHOOL DISTRICTS EXISTS TO DO.

I WOULD ALSO JUST ENCOURAGE IF WE DO HAVE AND I KNOW IT MAKES THE DATA A LITTLE BIT MORE DIFFICULT, BUT I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT TO HAVE AN OPEN-ENDED ASPECT FOR PEOPLE TO SAY, HEY, NONE OF THOSE, IT'S SOMETHING ELSE.

LET THEM WRITE IT DOWN AND WE CAN SORT THROUGH THAT AND LOOK AT THAT. I THINK THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL.

I DO DEEPLY APPRECIATE THE ADDITION OF LOOKING AND REVIEWING THE LOCAL DOCUMENTS ON THERE AS ONE OF THE CHECKS.

I THINK THAT IS A REALLY POWERFUL THING AS I THINK TRUSTEE FLOORS AND SAID BEFORE THIS BOARD HAS BEEN CLEAR ABOUT WHAT IT WANTS, IT'S ON A LOCAL WE ADOPTED THAT POLICY UNANIMOUSLY, IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.

WE ADOPTED THOSE GOALS UNANIMOUSLY AND SO I THINK THAT'S REALLY IMPORTANT.

THEN FINALLY, JUST TO CLARIFY ON ONE OF THE COMMENTS THAT I THINK TRUSTEE JOHNSON ASKED AROUND THE COMMUNITY MEETINGS.

I THINK IT'S FINE TO HAVE IF TRUSTEE REQUESTS FOR

[00:50:01]

ANY REASON A LAWYER AT THEIR COMMUNITY MEETING. THAT MAKES SENSE.

I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT THAT IS FOR THOSE COMMUNITY MEETINGS AND NOT WE WANT TO DO 15 MORE COMMUNITY MEETINGS AND HAVE LAWYERS PRESIDENT ALL OF THEM AT LATER TIMES. THAT'S ALL I'M TAKING.

THIS IS THAT THE UNDERSTANDING THAT YOU HAD WHEN YOU SAID THAT THAT IS POSSIBLE? BECAUSE I THINK THAT'S BECOMES DIFFERENTIATION AND WE'RE MOVING AND HAVING MEETINGS OUTSIDE OF THE AGREED UPON SCHEDULE.

>> WHEN WE SPEAK IN TERMS OF THE TOWN HALLS, WE ARE SPEAKING IN TERMS OF THE CHANNELS THAT WE'VE OUTLINED THERE.

AGAIN, I THINK THE BOARD NEEDS TO DECIDE WHETHER IT WANTS TO GO BEYOND THAT.

>> GOT YOU, OKAY. THAT MAKES SENSE TO ME.

THEN I TO ECHO AND APPRECIATE THE LANGUAGE THAT YOU WORKED AROUND TO FIND A COMPROMISE IN THERE AND WILL FULLY BE SUPPORTIVE OF THE LANGUAGE.

THAT'S IT FROM MY COMMENTS. I DO WANT TO SPEAK TRUSTEE HENRY, WHO COULDN'T BE HERE.

HE IS WITH FAMILY CURRENTLY.

HE DID WANT ME TO CONVEY THAT HE IS IN FULL SUPPORT OF THE NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT IN TERMS OF MAKING SURE THAT THIS IS A TIGHT PROCESS AND THAT HE APPRECIATES ALL THAT HAS BEEN DONE TO MAKE THE POSTING AS BROAD AS POSSIBLE.

I WANTED TO CONVEY THOSE ON HIS BEHALF.

WITH THAT, THANK YOU ALL FOR THAT.

NOW, WE'LL MOVE ON TO ITEM 5.

[A. Consider and Take Possible Action Regarding Planning for the Superintendent Search, Timeline, Community Engagement Process, Superintendent Job Posting, and Board Non-Disclosure Agreement related to Search]

CONSIDER AND TAKE POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING PLANNING FOR THE SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH TIMELINE, COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PROCESS, SUPERINTENDENT JOB POSTING, BOARD NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT RELATED TO THE SEARCH.

DO I HAVE A MOTION TO ADOPT THE PLAN FOR THE SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH TIMELINE, COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PROCESS, SUPERINTENDENT JOB POSTING AND BOARD NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT RELATED TO THE SEARCH.

SOME OF IT HAS BEEN MOVED BY TRUSTEE FLORES, SECONDED BY TRUSTEE KAMEI ON IS THERE ANY DISCUSSION.

SEEING NONE TRUSTEES WE'RE GOING TO CAST BY VOTE OF HANDS. PLEASE VOTE.

IF YOU ARE VOTING YES ON THAT, PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND.

ALL THOSE VOTING NO.

THEN WE HAVE NO ONE WHO ABSTAINED. I BELIEVE.

>> MOTION PASSES SIX TO ONE.

>> MOTION PASSES SIX TO ONE TRUSTEES.

YOU'VE JUST ADOPTED THE MOTION OF PROVING TO ADOPT THE PLAN FOR THE SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH TIMELINE, COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PROCESS, SUPERINTENDENT JOB POSTING, BOARD NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT RELATED TO THE SEARCH.

WILL NOW MOVE ON TO ITEM 6, CLOSED SESSION, BUT I DO NOT BELIEVE WE HAVE NEED FOR ANY CLOSED SESSION.

THE TIME IS 2:55 PM AND THIS MEETING IS ADJOURNED.

I DO WANT TO REMIND TRUSTEES CARRY ON FLORES JOHNSON AND GARCIA, THAT WE DO AND YOU ARE SCHEDULED FOR A HEARING AT FOUR O'CLOCK WITH ME.

PLEASE STICK AROUND AND DON'T GO VERY FAR.

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.